Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
sgcullen

Default LightBuckets Closing Down

It is with great sorrow that I announce that LightBuckets will be ceasing operations in Rodeo, NM in the very near future. Effective immediately, we will stop taking any new customer orders.

I have been offered an outstanding opportunity to help run a $7B/17,000+ person software company in Silicon Valley that we just can’t pass up. The LightBuckets business has been doing very well and is an excellent small business for anyone interested in being on the leading edge of astronomy and imaging. Our software architecture is such that the observatories can be located anywhere in the world so you can live in one place and have the observatories elsewhere.

We will be immediately placing all of our assets for sale including the LightBuckets intellectual property, brand, domain, website, and observatory hardware. I can provide full financial statements to serious inquiries for the LightBuckets business.

My ultimate goal would be to sell all of the LightBuckets assets together. Failing that, I would look to sell the technology and the hardware separately by observatory grouping (LB-0001, LB-0002, and LB-0003…see attached prices). My last option is to sell the components individually. The observatories are now listed for sale on Astromart...please visit those pages for more information...

LB-0001 on Astromart
LB-0002 on Astromart
LB-0003 on Astromart

Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing one of the observatories turnkey. This is a great way to get up and running, knowing that all of the components have been thoroughly tested in a production environment. I can be reached at steve@lightbuckets.com or 575-557-2832.

We plan to keep operations going until the observatories are sold. My guess is we will have much of the hardware sold within 30 days. If we can find a buyer for the LightBuckets IP, brand, domain, and website then I would expect that the new owners would start up new operations as soon as possible.

If you are due a refund on a points purchase, please contact us at refunds@lightbuckets.com once we have stopped all operations and we will take care of getting you a refund as soon as possible.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Note: For the 24RC on the Professional Equatorial fork mount, the buyer will be responsible for renting the equipment and removing the instrument from the observatory. All the lifting equipment is available locally…just bring a big trailer to carry the telescope and mount! Same for the 12’ Astrohaven dome. We would prefer pick up of all components at our Rodeo, NM location but smaller items can be shipped if needed (at the buyer’s expense).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LB-0001 Inside.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	891   Click image for larger version

Name:	LB-0002 Daylight.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	732.2 KB
ID:	892   Click image for larger version

Name:	LB-0003 Outside.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	893   Click image for larger version

Name:	LightBuckets Observatories 0211.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	642.9 KB
ID:	894   Click image for larger version

Name:	CRO from air #1.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	895  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC2811.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	839.0 KB
ID:	896   Click image for larger version

Name:	CRO Panorama #2 062608 (small).jpg
Views:	444
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	897   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0725.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	756.5 KB
ID:	898  
sgcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
jgw12936

Steve,

I am truly sorry to see you sell the business. I have enjoyed LightBuckets, especially the tremendous customer service and personal communications. You and LightBuckets will be missed.

Best of luck running the new business,

Jim

Last edited by jgw12936; 05-19-2011 at 08:19 PM.
jgw12936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
ChrisBeere

Gutted to see you selling up Steve but totally understand why you would leap at an opportunity like that !!!!

LightBuckets revolutionised my CCD astronomy and for that i am truly grateful to you.

Chris
ChrisBeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
sgcullen

Hi Jim-

It has been a pleasure talking with you along the journey. I am hopeful that LightBuckets will find a new home with an equally committed person running the show...we'll see how it goes. I intend to stay in the imaging world on a personal level so I would certainly love to keep in touch.

All the best,

Steve
Old 05-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
sgcullen

Hi Chris-

Thanks for being such a great customer of LightBuckets. It is sad and exciting at the same time. As I said to Jim, I really hope that I can find someone who will pick up the ball and run it down the field a little further than I was able to.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
blackhaz

Steve, I sincerely wish you good luck with the new job. Somehow I am sure that company will be very successful once they have you at the helm. (No idea what that company does, but with that energy and dedication you invested in LB you could make successful absolutely everything!)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
showerton

Steve,

Quite a shock, but understand this opportunity is not one to pass up. You've offered the best quality and most reliable equipment out there and then topped it off by having the best prices.

Best of luck.

Stan
showerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Emanuele

Hi Steve,

I am so sorry to see Lightbuckets closing. I have not been able to image with LB for a while now, for personal financial difficulties, but when I did back in 2009 it was an awesome experience.
I truly hope someone else will commit to keep Lightbuckets working.
I wish you all the best in your future endevours.

Clear skies, from Italy.
Emanuele
Emanuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
dayers88

What a shock! But I guess all good things must eventually come to an end. I wish for you the very best in this next step in your career. Selfishly, I hope you find a buyer who will continue the kind of service we have become accustomed to.

Best regards,

Dave Ayers
dayers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
OzRob

I haven't been using Lightbuckets for the last 3 or 4 months as I have been concentrating on other things (namely my own setup). I read this news yesterday and I am still a bit depressed about it. It's now entering the wet season where I live so my gear is now back in storage. I had planned starting to use the service again.

That said I understand your move Steve. We all have to look after our own lives. I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for the opportunity of using some top grade equipment.

My astrophotography photos
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote